December 17, 2007

Do you mind if I

leave my child here while I go run errands?

I was asked this by a mom yesterday at Claires birthday party (it isn't her birthday really)at a local gym. My jaw dropped, and when I said "no I would like you to stay". She seemed irritated. Granted I don't know this woman very well, our daughters are in the same preschool, but still I have no shame in telling her no when I don't know her daughter very well. My mother in law was there and she was shocked as well. Turns out this is "common" practice in young kids birthday parties. I could see asking this if it had been in my house, but not at a gym, filled with breaking hazards everywhere you turn.

On a lighter note she had a great party, and we got to surprise her with her grandma and her Aunt being here for the festivities, which was a great treat. There were about 15 kids if you count my two, and by the end each kid had a GOOD slice of cake, ice cream, and a handful of candy. This was our first "formal" party and it went off without a hitch, which made it even better.

Have any of you had moms that wanted to leave their kids? Do you let them?

4 comments:

nicole said...

That is surprising for a preschool age party. We dropped our kids off at a bowling party Saturday, but the parents made the offer ahead of time. And it was just our kids and the birthday boy. And we came back well before the party was over. As the kids get older dropping off is more common, but I wouldn't do it in the situation you talk about. Seems like that could make the child uncomfortable too.

Glad the birthday party went well.

heidi @ ggip said...

I offered that some parents could leave their kids with me at my son's bday party (that was at my house) but no one took me up on the offer.

If it was a parent that I knew, I wouldn't be offended if they asked. However, it is presumptuous of a parent to think they can drop a kid that age off at a party.

Good for you for saying No.

Tamara said...

I cannot believe she even asked at a preschool party. In our city, people stay at the parties. Serilously, even the dads. It is generally a time to get together and hang out with each other. I am VERY impressed you said no. VERY!!! Go girl!!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Happy birthday to your daughter! I had one lady drop off at my sons 4 yr old party, but I knew her and she told me ahead time of time that she was going to do it. She "over booked". That's typical of her and I didn't want to punish the child so I said it was fine. And he's basically a good kid (our party was at a gym too).
Last year at my sons 5 year old party 1/2 the parents dropped off at our "house" party which was fine. The weird part was that I didn't even know most of them. So it was like they left their kids with a stranger. Very odd.
Glad you said NO. That was rude of her to even ask.