November 06, 2007

Air Show

We went drove to an air show a while back, and it was really neat being able to tour all of the planes, you could even sit inside a C-151's cockpit.

We spoke with several airmen who have gone on several tours to IRAQ/Afghanistan. One guy had gone into the double digits with his tour (they typically would do four months there with one day to two weeks at home in between). He said the hardest part was being home, seeing his family and not knowing when he was going to have to leave again, so he tried to make the best of it, while he could.

The highlight for the day was speaking to a sweet elderly man who was "overseeing" one of the booths. We struck up a conversation and he told me how he met his wife in Germany during the war, and as soon as he was able to, he went and picked her up. They were married 46 years before she passed on.

I love talking to anyone from the greatest generation that ever lived, and it makes me sad to think that soon there will be no one left from that era. To think of things that they endured and witnessed, I don't know if words can describe it.

If you hear of an air show in your area I encourage you to go check it out. They are free and your kids will LOVE IT!! The aerial shows that they do are amazing, and very entertaining.

And now for pictures:




I had to crop this picture because the woman on the left was wearing highly inappropriate clothes and I didn't want her all over my blog! On the right side of these "beds" are call buttons, where the several injuried or sick are able to call for a nurse, and it even offers a light. (they look EXACTLY like the buttons you see on Continental)

I liked this shot, and to be honest I never realized how BIG the missles were!



Hubby made me take this picure because it says "Ditching Ladder". How surreal to think that someone may actually have to "ditch" the plane!

Baby Emory didn't feel like showing her face ;)

1 comment:

Sue said...

How neat. I almost wanted to go to one this year, but I found out about it later and it was at the base that was targeted a few days before for a terrorist attack in NJ. So I passed. I'll bet it is awesome though - I want to take the girls to the next one.

You made me laugh asking if I made the tutu - I am not capable of that. My mom found the witch costume at Cracker Barrel.