September 13, 2007

S is for SNAKE!

Personally I believe it is unbiblical to like snakes, I do I HATE snakes. No matter how you try to "sell" them to me, I refuse to buy it. I don't care what kind it is, the only good kind are the kind.

Some friends of ours at church have two Pythons. They invited us over last week, and I didn't want to go but my hubby and daughter were more than thrilled to accept. They met Zach and Joe, and I kept baby inside in my arms and I refused to go visit either of them. The mere fact that I was at their house made the hairs on my body stand. Zach is 4 1/2 feet long and is expected to reach 8 feet when fully grown. Joe is currently only 18 inches but will also get that big. They kept telling me that yes Zach could eat baby, but wouldn't because it had been fed the day before...VERY reassuring for me. They don't have kids but both admit that when they do they aren't sure what they are going to do with snakes....my suggestion shoot them. Again my opinion.

Fast forward to Sunday when we are driving home from church, we turn onto the main drive into the neighborhood and on the road right in front of the golf course there is something that resembles a snake.....I mention it to hubby who whips the minivan around (I didn't know it took turns so well) and indeed it is a 4 foot snake but LUCKILY the thing is already dead. Hubby tells daughter who thinks it is equally cool and wants to see it, I start threatening that NO ONE will be exiting the vehicle. So hubby gets grins by running over the snake again with daughter giggling the entire time. Momma wasn't pleased but hey no one got out of the car.

Fast forward again to Tuesday evening, we were out going for an evening walk when I spot a 12" black snake on the road (we were on the sidewalk). Instantly I decide that indeed this is an anaconda that has escaped the Amazon and founds it way into suburbia and again into my neighborhood on my street. Hubby laughs at me, meanwhile he and my daughter decide it would be "FUN" to watch him to see where he goes. While I am peeking out of my hands in horror just knowing that this thing is going to strike one of them (HUBBY DID NOT LET HER GET WITHIN 4 FEET OF THE SNAKE), I have now decided that it is a King snake and it is going to find it's way up the road and into my garage. I am so glad that the Lord blessed me with such a wild imagination. Eventually the snake went into our neighbors grass and I made them keep walking so it wouldn't attack them. Daughter has not been out in the back yard since, and I am not sure if she will EVER go back there again.

Hubby said a few weeks ago he thought we might start seeing snakes because there are a billion tree frogs everywhere and July was the rainiest month on record, at the time I thought "oh goody", now I think we are moving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more, snakes give me the heebie jeebies and that is why I don't live in Texas. ;)

Ana

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I feel your pain. My husband loves snakes and used to have a couple himself. I made it very clear that the smakes would be gone, one way or another, before we brought Snuggle Bug home. I think they both died of natural causes before we brough Snuggle Bug home.

If my husband sees a snake on the road, he wants to stop and go inspect it. I am the exact opposite! I just want to get far, far away!