Stolen goods
Today after I dropped off Claire at school, baby and I ran to HEB to pick up a few things that we needed for upcoming meals. As I unload baby and the bags into the car, I realize that in the bottom of the stroller is my corn-muffin mix! I was frantic as I was sure that they had seen me do it, hit the police button, and the sirens would be screaming down the road any second now.
Frantically I loaded baby back up, and rush inside, making it clearly known to the cashier that I had just taking it, but I came back to return it, as well as my frantic thoughts I had in the parking lot. She laughed and thanked me for coming back for my $.54 product and that the police would be notified that I came back ;).
She informed me that most people don't return because they see it as not a "big item", the way I see it is 1) it is dishonest and 2) if people keep stealing (because stealing is taking/keeping something you know does not belong to you), small items then one day we may go into HEB and find that the corn muffin mix is now $1.25.
Has anyone else ever done that?

3 comments:
I had to return a thing of clue that my little boy put in his stroller at the craft store. The lady looked at me like I had 7 eyes or something.
Once I purchased an item from Target that I thought was marked down to X amount and thus argued it was down lower than they rang it in...I got home, looked at the tag a little more thoroughly and was mortified to find out they were right and I was wrong...I proceeded to call Target and speak to a manager and let her know what had happened and she told me to keep my money and that my friend, confirms my love for Target even more. I felt terrible for the whole situation and had a hard time explaining things to my kids. Needless to say, I am MUCH more thorough in my tag looking now.
Once, at a sorority retreat, we were playing soccer and I slid halfway across the field on my knee, needless to say it tore my jeans from the ankle to above the knee. Since the weather was supposed to be warm and it turned out much colder than expected, I couldn't change in to the shorts or capri pants that I had brought with me. We all loaded up and headed to Target. I get there, in my torn jeans and head straight to the clothing section to get another pair. I find my size and take them to the fitting room, and put them on. I folded my pair and put them in the top of my basket, with the tags that I had taken off of the new pair. We get through our shopping trip and when we get to the check out, I kindly told the sales lady what I had done and handed her the tags. She put them down and continue to scan my items. She gives me my total, I pay and we are walking out the door when I start thinking of how low my total was. It had to have been higher than that, I thought. I look at my receipt and realize that she hadn't rang up the jeans and the tags still lay neatly beside her register. I went back and told her that she didn't charge me for them, so she rang them up and I went on my way.
What bothered me about the situation is that she made the mistake and I was honest and went back but she never said anything, like thanks for coming back or I'm sorry for the mistake. It wasn't a big deal, but it does bother me when no one acknowledges it!
Post a Comment