October 25, 2006

Interesting....


This is a story my neighbor shared with me and I had to pass this along....not for any real reason just passing it along because it made me smile.

First of all our neighbor is from Maryland and thinks you have to have a passport to come to Texas because we are so "strange" here, but oh well a matter of opinion. Anyways she always jokes with my husband and I about the "interesting" people she has meet during their time stationed here, especially, one in particular. She joined a playgroup back in April that is a good mix of military families as well as civilian families, some are religious as well as some that aren't. There is one lady in particular that just amuses her to no end and I find myself fascinated by her as well. This individual is always lecturing those within the group about their "beliefs or lack of beliefs" and constantly saying how they don't do Christmas like the "rest of the world" just like they don't celebrate Halloween but they rather celebrate Fall Harvest.

My neighbor swears she never met anyone who didn't do either one of these holidays until she moved to Texas and she now resides next to one as well as this other woman, so she is still trying to figure out this whole "southern thing" as she puts it. She is very respectful of the fact that we don't do Halloween at our house just as we are respectful that they do......so she had to call me when she got home from this womans house for a playdate. The same woman who lectures these poor woman up and down about holidays and beliefs had her house decorated like a Haunted House, inside and out.....yes that is right you read it right, complete with a cauldren, skeletons, monsters, strobe lights, the whole nine yards. Curious as to what was up with the decorations she inquired, she was met with the resonse that these are typical "Fall Harvest" decorations, and my halarious neighbor said she instantly stole my phrase and thought "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" We had a great laugh over it and now I am dying to meet this woman because to be honest I know a TON of people who don't do Halloween but I haven't met any like this woman. I am sure she would be a fun person to talk to though....at the very least interesting. I found it more amusing than probably most people because at our house we have pumpkins, fall leaves, and fall colors strone about but I haven't purchased any coffins to go along with my fall motife yet. Thinking that maybe I was the odd one I mentioned it to my husband who also got a good laugh over the whole thing. My husband who grew up not celebrating Halloween said that his family didn't decorate with spiders, and fingers.....but rather with fall decorations......and he grew up in Texas too. Maybe you REALLY do need a passport to come into this great lone star state!

See I told you it wasn't the most exciting story I just had to share it for those who might find it amusing!

No comments: