Hippotherapy
Our friends daughter has recently started doing hippotherapy, what an amazing opportunity for her and we are all anxiously awaiting to see results.
I had never heard of hippotherapy (another link) until her mom told me about it and I felt like this newer version of therapy needed a light shined upon it. It is used for occupational therapy, speech therapy, as well as physical therapy. There are locations across the country and the trained licensed therapists are amazing individuals with a true talent and blessing from the Lord.
Here is an excerpt from AHA's website: Equine movement provides multidimensional movement, which is variable, rhythmic and repetitive. The horse provides a dynamic base of support, making it an excellent tool for increasing trunk strength and control, balance, building overall postural strength and endurance, addressing weight bearing, and. motor planning. Equine movement offers well-modulated sensory input to vestibular, proprioceptive, tactile and visual channels.
Most centers have waiting lists because the research has been so promising on hippotherapy and there is such a need for more therapists.
The girls and I have been asked if we wanted to watch a session and we are so excited to see this amazing and invaulable resource in action!

1 comment:
We have a wonderful facility right around the corner from our house that does similar therapy. It'a a fantastic place and does wonders for the children and patients that go there. Once the boys get older I would love to volunteer there.
Post a Comment