February 13, 2007

Crushed!

We live on a hill, not a big one but one just big enough that when you go down the road on your bike you can gain some pretty good speed. Claire really wanted to ride her bike yesterday so I put her helmet on her and helped her down our driveway (which would be scary for even me to ride down), she did really well riding up and down the road for her first two rounds, and then it happened....you know the slow motion movie you watch in your head sometimes when your children are getting hurt? I had quit trying to jog along side her because she had done so well, when I started seeing the handle bars turn, and then her slowly start to go towards the ground, and then she proceeded to skid a bit. Oh my goodness I think it was much more terrifying for me then it was for her! Luckily she was wearing her helment, her leg and elbow got it pretty good, but she is fine. I felt like kicking the bike though after seeing my baby fall!

Of course being the mother hen I am I scooped her up and dragged the bike along side me until we got inside. I begged her to let me wash it and medicate it but she informed me that "Jesus would make it better." So I did wash it but she didn't get medicated. Daddy who is SO much better at these things than I am, came home shortly after and convinced her to go outside and ride it again. He informed her that he fell al the time when he was a kid, to which she responded "Daddy did you have a princess bike?" He laughed as did I because trust me J would not own a princess bike then or now! I was so proud of her, but I have to say I stayed inside and cooked dinner because I couldn't watch it happen again! It didn't which I am thankful for!

J and I were talking last night about how ironic it was that just last week we had discussed whether helmets were really necessary because we didn't wear any as children. He told me about the greatest fall he ever had when they lived at this one house (although he told me his dad tells the story much better!!). Of course I have my own horror story too, it is all part of growing up. One day she will be sitting there telling someone else about who crashes as a child.

As a mom though it is really hard to watch your own children fall and hurt themselves, I guess it is all part of growing up for her and letting go for me!

No comments: